Friday, March 20, 2009

Movie Shoot

Yesterday my brother recruited me to go help him with a movie shoot he was working on. It wasnt going to be a lot of work, but I decided that getting to see how a set works would be pretty interesting. We drove out to an old abandoned stripped down house where the shot was going to take place. We then spent about 2 hours setting up the one room we would be using that day. After that the actors arrived and I was ushered out of the room for the next hour, left with naught to do but twiddle my thumbs. After a short while the director came out and told me I would need to stop traffic when they shot, as the mics were very sensitive and picked up the sound of cars driving by. He then handed me a vest and two traffic cones and sent me on my way. For the next half hour, every time the director yelled "Stand by" that was my cue to sprint into the middle of the road, slam the cones down, and try to keep people from honking their horns, swearing loudly, or trying to run me over. It was, all in all, a very entertaining time. I got to spend a good while helping out with lighting, getting random stage effects such as rain prepped, and trying to fix continuety issues between shots. This was a very interesting expedition, and i would love to try it again sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment